The North Metro Natural Gas Pipeline Project has been designed to meet federal and state standards and safety requirements. The safety of the public around Xcel Energy’s natural gas system influences every decision made when constructing and operating pipelines. Xcel Energy takes a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures before, during, and after construction.
During construction and installation of the pipeline, we will:
- Implement a corrosion prevention system designed to eliminate metal loss during the life of the pipeline
- Perform an independent third party x-ray of all pipe welds to verify integrity prior to installation
- Maintain traffic control that allows for a safe construction area and provides commuters, cyclists and pedestrians with the safest possible routes outside the “cone zone”
Once the pipe is installed, prior to putting it into service, the following steps are taken:
- Internal inspection of the inside of the pipe with state-of-the-art equipment
- Internal pressure tests using water to thoroughly verify the integrity of the new pipeline
During the lifetime of the pipeline, the following occurs:
- Pipelines are internally inspected at least every seven years with “in-line” inspection technology
- Continuous remote monitoring (24/7) of pipelines and all facility operations by Xcel Energy’s staffed gas control center
If you ever suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or business immediately, and once you are safely outside call 800-895-2999 or 911 in an emergency.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit: https://www.xcelenergy.com/community/public_safety.