Internal inspection tools, such as the "Smart Pig" shown above, will be used over the lifetime of the pipeline to verify the pipeline’s integrity.
Public safety is at the foundation of all we do.
The North Metro Natural Gas Pipeline Project has been designed to meet federal and state standards and safety requirements. The safety of the public around Xcel Energy’s natural gas system influences every decision made when constructing and operating pipelines. Xcel Energy takes a proactive approach to public safety by implementing safety measures before, during and after construction.
During construction and installation of the pipeline, the following measures are taken:
- Implementation of a corrosion prevention system designed to eliminate metal loss during the life of the pipeline.
- Verification of the integrity of the pipeline through x-ray of all pipe welds by an independent third party.
Once the pipe has been installed and prior to putting it into service, the following occurs:
- Internal inspection of the inside of the pipe with state-of-the-art equipment.
- Internal pressure tests using water to thoroughly verify the integrity of the new pipeline.
During the lifetime of the pipeline, the following occurs:
- Pipelines are internally inspected at least every seven years with “in-line” inspection technology.
- Continuous remote monitoring (24/7) of pipelines and all facility operations by Xcel Energy’s staffed gas control center.
If you ever suspect a natural gas leak, leave your home or business immediately, and once you are safely outside call 911 then Xcel Energy at 800-895-2999.
For additional information on our commitment to safety, please visit: https://www.xcelenergy.com/community/public_safety.